As of January 1, 2011, The Lake County Sheriff Civil Division has three offices to serve the citizens of Lake County. The main office is located in Crown Point, Indiana; the two Satellite offices are located in Gary, Indiana and East Chicago, Indiana. The East Chicago Office was reopened by Sheriff Buncich, January 1, 2011. All three offices are open to serve the public Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, except for Holidays.
LAKE COUNTY SHERIFF DEPARTMENT
CROWN POINT CIVIL OFFICE
Lake County Government Center
2293 N. Main St
Crown Point, Indiana 46307
Serves: Crown Point, Merrillville, Hobart, Schererville, St. John, Cedar Lake, Lowell, Shelby, Schneider and the unincorporated areas of South Lake County.
LAKE COUNTY SHERIFF DEPARTMENT
GARY CIVIL OFFICE
Gary, Indiana 46402
Serves: Gary, Lake Station, Griffith, unincorporated Hobart Township and Calumet Township
LAKE COUNTY SHERIFF DEPARTMENT
EAST CHICAGO CIVIL OFFICE
3711 Main St
East Chicago, Indiana 46312
Serves: East Chicago, Hammond, Highland, Munster, and Whiting.
The primary function of the officers working in Civil Division is to serve summons, subpoenas, evictions, writs of assistance, notices of Sheriff Sales and foreign writs of execution. They also collect delinquent state taxes for the Indiana Department of Revenue and conduct Foreclosure Sales on houses.
For the year of 2010, the officers that were assigned to the Lake County Sheriff Civil Division served 66,573 civil process papers.
The Sheriff Sales on Foreclosed houses is held on the first Friday of each month at the Lake County Government Center. Registration begins at 8:30 am and ends promptly at 9:30 am. The sale begins at 10:00 am. Anyone interested in bidding on a property can fill out a bid sheet. The Bid Sheet must be turned in the day of the sale, prior to 10:00 am.
These are papers sent from another state to be served. There is a fee of $60.00 per defendant/per address. The fee is payable only by Business Checks, Cashiers Checks or Money Orders payable to the Lake County Sheriff are accepted. No personal checks can be accepted.
An original and two copies of the summons and two copies of the complaint must be sent. The address of the person being served must be on the summons and complaint.
Foreign Writs along with a self addressed stamped envelope for the affidavit of service that will be returned should be sent to the Crown Point Civil Office, address listed above.
We will attempt personal service, but we do not guarantee it. We will leave a copy at the address listed if there is no response at the door. A copy will also be mailed to the address listed.
If you have received a letter from the Lake County Sheriff's Department informing you that you owe delinquent state taxes, please follow the directions on the letter and send the payments to the address listed on the paperwork. Please include your tax warrant number on the Cashier Check or money order. No personal checks accepted. Cash is always welcome if paying in person.
Lake County Sheriff Department
2293 North Main St
Crown Point, Indiana 40307
ATTN: Tax Warrant Division
Sheriff Property Sales
Auctions are held on the 1st Friday of each month, at 10:00 am or shortly thereafter (If the sale falls on a holiday, the auction will be held the following Friday). The foreclosure auction will be held in the Auditorium of “B” Building, 2293 North Main Street, Crown Point, IN 46307 Properties are posted on the wall directly across from the Civil Division office.
For the Property listings, please navigate to our home page, where you will find links on the right sidebar for the latest property listings.
BID REQUEST FORM (Click to download the .pdf format of the Bid Request Form)
Properties are advertised in the Gary Crusader, (219) 885-4357. The advertisements run 3 consecutive Thursdays, one month in advance of the sale date.
The property sheets posted on the wall across from the Civil Division office includes:
1. Address of property
2. Owners full name (defendant)
3. Cause number
4. Attorney firm (plaintiff)
IF YOU ARE INTEREST IN A PROPERTY – YOU MUST CHECK FOR:
1. State liens & judgments – this information can be located in the Clerk’s Office, which is just past the Auditorium. It is the individuals’ sole responsibility to use the public access computer in the Clerk’s Office to obtain case specific information.
2. Tax information can be found in the Lake County Treasurer’s Office, located on the main floor of ” A” building.
3. Information on Federal liens can be found in the Recorders Office located on the main floor of “A” building.
A bidder may or may not be responsible for Liens and/or Judgments on a property. You may drive by the property but you may not go onto the property, (it may still be occupied). We do not know the starting bid amount until the day of the sale. The attorneys that are representing the mortgage companies will open the bid.
All bidders need to register before the sale. You will need the following information to register:
1. A state issued I.D. or a VALID drivers license to receive a Bidder Number.
2. You must register on the day of the sale between the hours of: 8:30 am – 9:30 am. Registration ends promptly at 9:30 am.
3. If you are the successful bidder, you have two hours after the end of the bidding to complete the transaction. We only accept the following types of payment: A. cash B. cashier checks C. money orders.
These are to be made payable to: Lake County Sheriff Department (NO PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED) We request that payment be made with no more than two cashier checks or money orders on a single property. Payment must be for the exact winning bid amount.
4. If you are not back within the two hour time frame, the property will be deeded back to the Mortgage Company, and you may be prosecuted by the Lake County Sheriff Department and /or the mortgage company.
5. After receiving your deed to the property, it is your responsibility to have it recorded in the Recorders Office.
ALL SALES ARE FINAL AND AS IS – BUYER BEWARE
THE SHERIFF DOES NOT WARRANT EITHER EXPRESSIVELY OR IMPLIED, ANY TITLE OR LEGAL DESCRIPTION OF ANY REAL ESTATE SOLD AT THE SALE.